The days are getting darker and the warmth of the sun is lowering, while the mountains are preparing to go pink as gay and lesbian travelers look into their winter retreats. New Zealand is just ending it’s winter and has celebrated with the annual Gay Ski Week Queenstown that ran from 31st August to 7th September. http://www.gayskiweekqt.com/
As with most ski weeks the gay guys and gals left feeling bruised and exhausted from a week on the slopes during the day, long afternoons of après-ski and evenings partying Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gayskiweekqt
The rainbow winter sports in South America - Argentina for Bariloche Gay Ski Week, which is becoming a popular event in San Carlos de Bariloche lying on the banks of Lake Nahuel Huapi, surrounded by mountains and forests and a packed program of events. Regarded as “little Switzerland” – this romantic area of virgin green forests and snow-capped mountains is an ideal location for skiing, snowboarding, horseriding, yaughting and hiking.
So what’s coming up in Europe and North America? The number one Winter Gay Pride event is renowned to be GayWhistler in British Columbia, Canada, 26 January – 2 February 2013: http://gaywhistler.com/ The GayWhistler team has launched its 2014 event and is ready for the onslaught of thousands of gay and lesbian skiers.
In Europe on the other hand, Arosa is preparing for it’s countdown which will take place at the beginning of the year 12 - 19 January 2014 http://www.arosa-gayskiweek.com/en/
Other mega ski-weeks to keep an eye-on
- The European Gay Ski Week. Alp d’Huez, 22 - 29 March 2014: http://www.europeangayskiweek.com/
- SWING – Swiss Gay Skiing and Snowboarding Week, Lenzerheide, 2 – 9 March 2014: http://www.gayski.ch/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25&Itemid=28&lang=en
- Utah Gay Ski Week: February 2 - 13
- Aspen Gay Ski Week: Jan 12 - 19
- Stowe, VT / Winter Rendezvous Gay Ski Week: Jan 22 - 26
- Elevation: Park City, Utah: Feb 20 - 23
- Telluride Gay Ski Week: Feb 21-March 2
- Elevation: Mammoth Mountain, CA: March 12 - 16
- Lake Tahoe Gay Winterfest: March 2014 (TBA)
- Scandinavian Ski Pride, Hemsedal, April 2014 (TBA)
What others have you been to? Or where have you found a good gay nightlife when skiing?